London : Six people were killed, including an alleged gunman in Plymouth, England, on Thursday night.
Police responded to a “serious firearm incident” in the Cayem area of the city in southwest England around 6:10 p.m. Local time, according to police in Devon and Cornwall, ABC News reported. Priti Patel, the UK’s interior minister, tweeted: “The incident in Plymouth is shocking and my thoughts are with those affected. I spoke to the Chief of Police and offered my full support.”
When police arrived at the scene, they found two men and two women dead from gunshot wounds. They also found a man believed to be the shooter dead on the spot. All five were pronounced dead of gunshot wounds.
A third woman was taken to a local hospital, where she later died, police said.
Police said the relatives of all the dead had been notified. Police did not say how the suspect died, but he was dead before police arrived, ABC News reported.
The names and age of the victims have not yet been revealed by police.
“There are many deaths at the scene and several others are being treated,” police said in a statement. “A critical incident has been declared. The area has been cordoned off and police believe the situation is under control.”
Meanwhile, Johnny Mercer, a member of parliament representing the region, said the shooting was not considered terrorism-related.
Police in Devon and Cornwall repeated in a statement announcing the death that the case was not related to terrorism, ABC News reported.
Police said they were not looking for other suspects in the shooting. There was no speculation about motive or information about how the victims were related to the shooter, if any.
Devon and Cornwall police said the investigation into the incident was ongoing. (